Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Mommy = Worrier 4 Ever

Little L is sick. She has a 102.4 degree fever. I knew it! This morning when she woke up crying, I had a feeling something wasn't right. And when I held her, she felt very warm. But, as usual, when I asked my husband if he thought she had a fever, he touched her forehead and said "you know I can't tell these things. Maybe it's just warm in here." So, I ignored my own instinct and went to work without taking her temperature. And, to be fair, she seemed fine. She wasn't her usual bouncing off the walls self, but she wasn't curled up in a ball on the floor either. As I was walking out the door, I mentioned to my nanny that I thought something might be wrong and to take her temperature in a few hours, especially if L continued to feel warm and/or acted strange. The first call came at 10:36a. It was J. 98.8 degrees, she reported. Hmm. Good. No fever. I guess I was wrong. I was obviously glad and went about my day, accepting the news even though I was skeptical.

The second call came at 4:34p. J said they had just come home from the playground and L wasn't acting like herself. She was clingy and whiny so they left after a few minutes and J decided to take her temperature again. 102.4. I immediately emailed O. Part of me was worried, of course, and then part of me felt a little... satisfied. I was right! She was sick! Ha! I told you so...

The thing is, I'm always thinking L is sick. Whenever she coughs or acts a bit off, I assume the worst. To be fair, I come by it honestly. Both my parents are certified hypochondriacs. Big time.
And, I have a slight, okay, raging case of it myself. But, as enter my second year of being a mom, I realize the importance of curbing my own anxieties and trying not worry too much about every little thing. Yet another thing to add to my to do list...

24 hours later little L's fever is down. We had a rough night and an early morning. But, she seems better and I'm thrilled about that. I should be getting ready for work, but instead I'm sitting with her watching Little Einsteins and drinking juice.

No comments: