Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Islamorada 2008

We've been back from vacation for almost 4 days. All in all, it was a good trip. The weather was beautiful, the house we stayed in was huge and well-appointed, and O and I were actually able to spend a few hours alone...which was due to the fact that we brought our nanny with us.

Bringing your nanny on vacation is not for everyone. And I'm not even talking about the money. Because, sure, it's expensive. But, beyond that it is definitely strange having someone who is not really your "family" (even if you say she is) spend pretty much 24 hours a day with your family.

J (the nanny) and I have had our ups and downs these past 1.5 years. But, lately, (before the vacation) we have been getting along really well. I would even say we've become actual friends. Of course I had my doubts about having her come with us on the trip. She had come with us last year, but, for some reason I had completely forgotten any of the awkward/tense/annoying moments, and just had a lovely, romanticized memory of the experience.

Well, this year, there were definitely times when I almost lost my shit with her. Specifically, I felt like she kept criticizing how I handled L -- insinuating that I wasn't being strict enough with her, etc. There was also the "celery incident" -- which is too ridiculous to explain, but suffice it to say it started with my storming off in a huff and ended with us hugging and crying in the kitchen. Oy.

But, overall, would I do it again? You bet.

No comments: