There's an article in The New York Times today about a new book called "Face It" - a guide for women struggling with aging in a society obsessed with staying young.
After I read it, I realized perhaps I am a bit premature in my worrying about growing and looking older...most of the women mentioned in this article, including the authors, are in their 50s. My one gray hair, handful of wrinkles, and slightly sagging boobs seemed minor in comparison.
But it did raise a larger concern for me about the importance of appearance in society and how, despite how far women have come, looks are still a huge part of our "currency and power." That really is depressing and frustrating.
And I began to wonder why, despite knowing it shouldn't matter to me, I feel such tremendous pressure to stay young and look as close to perfect as I can?
I know I have about a million other things I should be worrying about...yet, for now, this is what I'm focusing on.
It will change, I'm sure. But, 40 is coming in a little over 5 months...and, I guess, I'm just going to have to face it.
No comments:
Post a Comment