Monday, June 9, 2008

The Birthday Party Blues

L is turning two July 9. That's exactly one month from now. And, I (we) still haven't decided what we're doing to celebrate. At first, we agreed to do something small - a little party at the local playground with a few balloons, some cupcakes, and maybe, if we were feeling really crazy, some pizza. But, unfortunately, it seems that that's exactly what all of her other friends parents decided to do as well. At last count, we have received 5 invitations within a 4 week period for parties that will be taking place at the SAME PLAYGROUND. Now, being "original" is not a top-priority in my life, but come on, this is RIDICULOUS. How could I have L's party be #6 in the line-up? So now we're considering the unthinkable - NOT HAVING A PARTY. Even as I type those words, I can't accept that they could really be true. The thing is, I come from a family of partiers...Every holiday, birthday, long weekend, sunny day -- was an excuse to celebrate. So, the idea of NOT having a party is truly, absolutely, positively STRANGE to me. My husband says - "she's only 2 - she won't remember it anyway." But I will remember! And, be racked with guilt, shame and regret. Or will I? I guess that's the real question right now. Mommies out there in the blogosphere - any thoughts, suggestions and advice would be appreciated!

3 comments:

Marinka said...

Talk to the other parents and combine the parties! The kids won't care, they just want to run around and parallel play!

the mama bird diaries said...

Have the party at a different park. Or maybe something fun as a family. But definitely honor the birthday in some way. Or else it sounds like you will regret it.

jonesy said...

Thanks for the great suggestions. We decided to do the following:

On her ACTUAL birthday, which falls on a Wednesday, we're going to bring cupcakes to her camp. And then later that afternoon we'll have 2-3 of her friends over to our place for pizza and ice cream...

I think it's a good compromise, right?